About Doula Jenn
In high school my passion for helping others began and I became a Certified Nurse’s Assistant (CNA). In 2004 I moved from California to Nothern Virginia to attend George Mason University, where I earned a degree in Health Systems Management. After the birth of my second son I became a birth doula in 2010 and have worked alongside many amazing doulas within the Northern Virginia area. In May 2020 I will be moving back to California and residing in San Diego. I will be working alongside Joy and Dara at Joyful Roots Doulas.
I am mother of three and a wife to Colin. I’ve had three unmedicated births, two in a hospital and my last child, Chloe, was born at home. My first and last births were both supported by a doula and opened my eyes to the importance of doula support, no matter where a mother is delivering.
In 2009 after the birth experience of my second son, where I did not have a doula, my broad passion for helping others was focused to helping women and their partners through the birthing process. In 2010 I became a certified birth doula with Childbirth International and DONA International. In 2018 I re-certified with DONA International as an on-going process of continued education.
What I Do as Your Doula
I support you through your pregnancy, your labor and delivery, some time after your delivery and in a postpartum visit. I am on call for clients beginning at 38 weeks and am available 24/7 to all clients once the retainer fee has been paid.
My goal is to:
- Encourage you
- Remind you that your body was made to give birth and that you are capable of it
- Lift your spirits up when you’re feeling overwhelmed
- Encourage movement and position changes to help labor progress and help it be less painful
- Answer any questions you have about procedures or medications
- Work alongside the nurses, doctors and midwives in providing you with collaborative care
- Most of all, to allow you every opportunity to achieve a well informed & supported birth.
Click here for more information about doula support.